Blog Post #1 – Dear Ijeawele

While reading Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, I was drawn to two main ideas: Adichie targeting the differences in language often used toward girls and women that is not found when reversed to anything from men in power to little boys playing. Adichie posit’s that rejecting this language will help raise her friend’s daughter to be a feminist.

In my recent internship lobbying for bills that championed gun violence prevention and topics of intersection. I learned from a series of webinars to help build a reliable lobby pitch to propose to the delegates. One bill we planned to advocate for (but dropped at the last minute) was for LGBTQ Rights, which we were prepared to argue exclusive rhetoric and language in the state’s constitution are hurtful to the people they govern and ostracize. This divide is capable of causing further emotional and mental trauma if not addressed, would yield successful results if managed properly, and can be applied to a variety of topics or marginalized groups.

This is how “Feminism Lite” (20), which Adichie asserts “uses the language of ‘allowing'”, is able to perpetuate an example of conditional female equality (20). She expands on this message earlier when she says, “reject the language of help” (12), such as describing fatherly responsibilities as “helping” (12) or “babysitting” (13). As my parents are full time caregivers for my brother, I unfortunately see this personally within my family. It has progressed positively over the years but I feel like it is still very common for the Mother figure to bear a majority of child centric needs. This is also prevalent in the geographic theory about gendered mobility that states that women in the workforce with children usually prioritize working close to home or their children’s schools.

1 Comment