Reflection blog #1

In the book “Dear Ijeawale” by Chimamanda Adichie, the thesis of the entire book is to show the level of equality among women and men. She immediately starts the book off with “…What is your premise? Your feminist premise should be: I matter. I matter equally. Not ‘if only.’ Not ‘as long as.’ I matter equally…”. This book by Adichie identifies and outlines the main focus of feminism. Feminism is sometimes taken as the idea that women should have more rights than men, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Feminism is identified as equal rights among sexes. Adichie identifies throughout the book how the idea of gender roles need to be eliminated. The book also emphasized the important of strength in numbers and to be unified as a whole in terms of women’s equality. One of the most important quotes in the book for me was, “we judge powerful women more harshly than we judge powerful men” (Adichie, 25). We see this a lot in this today’s age unfortunately. It’s very unappealing to see especially with how close and how much I look up to my mom who I see as a very powerful woman.

1 Comment