Dear Ijeawele Blog Post

As I was reading the extended list of suggestions, in Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Dear Ijeawele or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions, I felt connected to the personal experiences that brought her to make those suggestions. Looking at the tenth suggestion, I knew what it is like to discontinue a sport after developing into a body that did not fit the sport’s standard (Adiche 2017, 42). As in the twelfth suggestion, I have felt the repercussions of not having the vocabulary to describe an issue in my relationship with my body or sexuality (Adiche 2017, 53). While reading, I also worked to find explanations of why she chose to write certain suggestions in a book labeled a “Feminist Manifesto.” Maybe Adichie suggests that Ijeawele teach her daughter to “reject likability” because she has seen so many Black girls censor their identity to preserve their palatability (Adiche 2017, 37). I contended that Adiche’s last suggestion focused on the power of “difference” because feminism is based on the ability to see others as equal even when they think, look, love, and believe dissimilarly (Adiche 2017, 61).

Adichie, Chimamanda Ngozi. Dear Ijeawele: a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions. New York: First Anchor Books Edition, 2017.

1 Comment