We Should All Be Feminists – Adichie

While reading Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s TedTalk essay titled We Should All Be Feminists, I honestly was not surprised by her words.  In our current culture, we hear about feminism quite a bit.  I knew of and have heard her arguments many times.  However, that doesn’t mean I still was not affected by her words.  While reading this short essay, I could not help but think about the events in the show The Handmaid’s Tale.  This weekend I binged the entire first season, so it was fresh in my mind.  Adichie paints a picture of the male-driven society that we still live in today.  She recounts many times when she could not go places alone.  In The Handmaid’s Tale the remaining fertile women are forced to the role of procreating.  They are not allowed to own property, have jobs, read, drive, go anywhere alone and much more.  While watching the show, I often wondered how something like this could happen in the United States.  But the flashbacks prove that one right at a time they gave to us and one right at a time they took it away.  Adichie’s piece reminds us that there’s still so much progress that needs to be made.  As an female, I always wondered why the word ‘feminist’ was chosen, when it means to represent both genders equally.  However, Adichie shines a light on the issue of the word choice, “but to choose to use the vague expression human rights is to deny the specific and particular problem of gender.”

1 Comment