Blog: We Should All Be Feminists

This week’s reading consisted of the argued essay “We Should All Be Feminists” by Chimanmanda Ngozi Adichie. In the essay, Adichie addresses many reasons why everyone should be feminist and what being a feminist really means. The author goes through her understanding about feminism through personal and social experiences based on gender stereotypes such as men being the authoritative figure, women doing housework and cooking, and women having different expectations in the workplace. She also addresses the general stereotypes about women who are feminist that they are unhappy single woman rebelling against how women should be. The main point to take away from this essay is that being feminist means that they acknowledge that fact that there is an inequality between men and women that needs to be fixed beginning with how children are raised. As a teacher, I have the opportunity to educate children on and how to overcome stereotypes that are prominent in society today through allowing children to express their self in a safe welcoming community. Also, I have the chance to allow boys and girls to have equality in the classroom through class positions, jobs, and academics. Overall, I thought this essay was very interesting in giving a deeper understanding of feminism and would recommend this to for others to read.

1 Comment